Photos of Dad

Monday, October 13, 2014

Dad's Chicken Chow Mein Recipe by Chuck and Elaine Brookshire

Chuck emailed me a couple of scans (see below) he had made of Dad's recipe for chicken chow mein which he had made for them on the folks' visit to Chuck and Elaine's former residence in Colorado.

I remember visits to the China Royal restaurant on my more recent post-high school visits to Fall River; many locals considered it the best Chinese food in New England. Unfortunately, it closed in 2001. What I didn't realize is that Fall River is famous as the birthplace of the chow mein sandwich:
Originating in Fall River, Massachusetts, in the 1930s or 1940s, the chow mein sandwich is a hot sandwich, which typically consists of a brown gravy-based chow mein mixture placed between halves of a hamburger-style bun, popular on Chinese-American restaurant menus throughout southeastern Massachusetts and parts of neighboring Rhode Island. The sandwiches are served "strained" or "unstrained," referring to whether or not the sandwich has vegetables. "Strained" means that it is served without vegetables. Just like plated chow mein without the bun, the sandwich may also include meats or seafood, usually chicken, beef, or shrimp. The Oriental Chow Mein Noodle Company of Fall River is the regional source for the sandwich's distinctive crispy noodles.

I'll update this post if Mom has anything to add, but it does explain our Franco-American family's taste for chow mein (I don't recall us ever having it in a sandwich format, though). I know Dad used to order noodles via mail order. The dry noodles are fabulous, even as a snack by themselves; I'm speculating that he got the above-cited brand; it may be sold by multiple vendors, but you can buy a 5-lb. bag from this vendor for about $34, plus shipping, roughly $11, smaller bundles available (as of this post's date). I think the noodles keep fresh about 2 months, longer if you freeze them.



If anybody else had a Dad recipe to share, let me know. (I think Sharon offered to share his Thanksgiving stuffing recipe.)